Brandeis Interfaith Group Safe Space Guidelines
- Active listening at all times/full participation in the service-learning work going on.
- Remember the importance of another person’s religious or philosophical perspective in that person’s own life.
- Assume others have no knowledge about your own perspective and take the time to explain everything.
- Seek clarification if you do not understand something someone else is saying.
- Everything said should remain in the room.
- Suspend your judgment.
- Every question is encouraged.
- Everyone has the right to pass.
- Be conscious of a five second rule between speaking. That way everyone can form their thoughts before speaking.
- Each person represents themselves alone, not their own faith or belief system.
- Remember that no one has to align themselves with one specific faith or belief system.
- Challenge the idea, not the person
- guideline in progress: Respect every gender and sexuality, using the appropriate pronouns but be understanding as we learn about pronouns and other terminology.
Please feel free to use these Safe Space Guidelines for your own group or dialogue event. We just ask that you give credit to the Brandeis Interfaith Group when borrowing these guidelines.
Consider modifying this list or creating your own to fit your group or event!